The Crucial Guide Live also provides additional information on support and services available

Academic Advisors

Every student in the School is assigned an Academic Advisor.  Your Academic Advisor (normally the same person throughout your course) offers you advice on academic matters, personal problems (if needed), and is your main link to the School and the University.

The University’s aim is that by engaging with their Academic Advisor, students will:

  • know that their advisor cares about their progression, academic success and future plans
  • feel that they belong and are valued regardless of their background, personal strengths and weaknesses
  • know who to contact if they experience difficulties either personally or academically
  • work to enhance their academic and personal self-efficacy as a result of setting and reviewing goals and reflecting on their experiences
  • gain and grow in confidence and skills in developing professional relationships

You must meet your Academic Advisor at regular intervals (at least twice per semester where at least one meeting is face-to-face) during your degree and should prepare for each meeting by starting to fill in the appropriate meeting form on “My intranet”. Students are expected to attend and prepare for all arranged meetings with their Advisor and respond promptly to any communication from their Advisor.  During these meetings, you may agree a series of actions with your Advisor and it is a good idea to keep a record of these actions.

You should speak to your Academic Advisor about any problems that you are having that are affecting your work (see also Section Work and Attendance Regulations (Level 1) (Level 2) (Level 3) and (Section  Guidelines on Ill Health).  We encourage students to take the initiative in raising problems or difficulties (academic or personal) at the earliest possible opportunity so that staff can provide appropriate guidance and support.  The expectation is that students will then make appropriate use of all the support and guidance offered at the University.

When you are making applications for summer work, placements, jobs, or further degrees, your Academic Advisor should know you well enough to write an informed reference. There is a mechanism within the intranet meeting forms for you to provide your Academic Advisor with a CV, which you should update regularly, especially towards the end of your Degree Programme. Please see Section Employability skills.

Senior Advisor

There is also a Senior Advisor and Deputy Senior Advisor for the School who are available (via the Student Support Office) to discuss any particularly serious problems, or anything you would rather not discuss with your Academic Advisor (including the situation where you may feel it necessary to request a change in Academic Advisor).

Academic Tutors

You will have regular small-group tuition in groups of about ten students with an Academic Tutor. You will see several Academic Tutors with different areas of expertise during your undergraduate career.  Normally your Academic Advisor will also be your Academic Tutor for the first year, which gives you a chance to get to know each other.  Attendance at ALL of the academic tutorials and the production of satisfactory work are requirements of all Degree Programmes see also Section Work and Attendance Regulations (Level 1) (Level 2) (Level 3)).

Programme Directors

The Programme Director oversees the content of your Degree Programme, agrees your choice of optional course units during Welcome Week and assists your Academic Advisor in giving you advice on academic matters. A list of Programme Directors and how to contact them can be found in section Programme Directors and how to contact them.



The University Counselling Service offers you help in understanding, dealing with, or overcoming the many sorts of difficulties that may prevent you getting the most out of your life and studies at university.  These may include problems at home, pressures from personal relationships, and difficulties in coping with stressful events, now or in the past, such as examinations, separation, bereavement or forms of abuse.  There are also some group sessions/workshops on specific issues, e.g. confidence and self-esteem, managing low mood, managing exam stress, coping better with academic pressure, speaking out in groups, etc. Please see the Counselling Service website for more details and up-to-date information.

The Counselling Service is open between 9:00 and 16:00, Monday to Friday. Students who have not used the service before, need to complete a brief questionnaire before contacting the service ( This should take no more than 3 minutes to complete. Those students who have used the service within the past 2 months, can make an appointment with their counsellor through the reception desk (0161 275 2864).

You can call the Counselling Service reception desk for available appointment times on 0161 275 2864, you can book an appointment through the Wellbeing tab in your MyManchester: At certain times the Service experiences especially high demand and waiting times can increase. To ensure the best possible service is provided and waiting times are managed effectively, a Duty Counsellor is available each day (during opening hours) for those who feel they need to talk to someone before the earliest available appointment date. 

Opening times

The Counselling Service is open from 9:00 to 16:00, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays and during the University's Christmas closure period.

 Contact details

Tel: 0161 275 2864 (52864 from an internal phone)
University of Manchester Counselling Service
5th Floor, Crawford House
Booth Street East
M13 9QS

Students’ Union Advice Centre

StudentunionThe Students’ Union Advice Service (see their website at offers free and confidential information and advice to students on personal and academic issues. It is run by professional Advisors who are independent of the University. The Advice Service is based in the Students' Union building (ground floor) on Oxford Road, M13 9PR.

The Advice Service is open Monday to Friday, 10:00 – 16:00 (closed 13:30 - 14:30) all year round - both in and out of University terms - with the exception of public holidays and occasional training days.

During these times you can drop-in, book an appointment, telephone and email.

Telephone: 0161 275 2952
Internal phone: 52952

Students with additional support needs

The University of Manchester welcomes students with additional support needs arising from a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia, an unseen medical condition, or a disability or impairment.  The University has a central Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS).  In order to access the full support that the University can offer, you should contact the DASS to discuss your support requirements. They can be contacted by the following means:

Email -
Telephone - 0161 275 7512
Text (only for deaf students) - 07899 658 790
Minicom - 0161 275 2794

Or you can just drop in to the DASS on the second floor of University Place, Block 2, where you can speak in confidence to a Disability Adviser about your needs. The DASS is open:

Monday to Friday 10:00-16.00

If you are a student who has, or suspects they have, support needs and have not yet informed the DASS, then please contact them in the first instance. In addition to this, the School of Biological Sciences has a Disability Coordinator, Miss Joanne Jolley, who liaises with the DASS to organise your support in the School.  She can be contacted by telephone or email: (0161 275 1525/ The Stopford Building has car parking spaces reserved for blue badge holders, wheelchair access and an adapted lift at the car park end of the building.


ill health

The University recognises the importance of the health and wellbeing of all students. Occupational Health Services aim to promote the physical, mental and social well-being of students and to reduce the incidence of ill-health arising from exposure to work place hazards.

You can access advice and guidance by going to see the Service or by visiting their website below. Some students will undergo regular health surveillance as required by their School etc, but you can also refer yourself for an appointment.

Where necessary the Service work closely with other services at the University e.g. the Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS) to support students with health problems or disabilities.

The Occupational Health Service does not deal with medical or first aid emergencies and cannot diagnose or provide treatment. If there is a serious medical emergency you should phone (9)999 for an ambulance, remembering to call University Security (69966) immediately afterwards so that they can assist the ambulance in getting to you.

The Occupational Health Services receptions are open for enquiries from Monday to Friday between 09.00-16.00.

You will need an appointment to see an Occupational Health Adviser or Physician as the Service does not have the capacity to see you as a 'drop-in'. Their contact details are:

Tel: 0161 275 2858
Campus map location: Building 38
Address: 182/184 Waterloo Place, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9GP

Additional information on health issues can be found in the MyWellbeing tab of MyManchester.

Night-time telephone advice/listening service

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 14.58.13

The Students’ Union runs Nightline, a telephone advice and listening service operated by students that offers a point of contact throughout the night. You can contact Nightline by telephone on 0161 275 3983 / 0161 275 3984 from 20:00-8:00 during term-time. If you would feel more comfortable emailing Nightline rather than phoning them, you can send an email to Further information is available at

Discrimination and Harassment

Information and University policies on discrimination and harassment can be found at

For further information about the University’s Policy on Harassment, or if you have been a victim of some form of harassment, contact the Equality and Diversity Office on 0161 306 5857 or the Students’ Union Advice Service on 0161 275 2952.

The Student Services Centre

The majority of the University's administrative services for students (except Accommodation Services) are available from our centralised Student Services Centre, off Burlington Street.

Student Services Centre
Burlington Street
The University of Manchester
Oxford Road
M13 9PL

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
(Apart from Tuesdays, 10am to 5pm)
Telephone enquiries: 0161 275 5000


The Accommodation Office provides information and guidance on a range of issues including ways to deal with any problems that students might encounter over accommodation choices, special needs, existing accommodation difficulties, accommodation for students with families and on temporary accommodation, including provision available outside semester time.

The Accommodation Office opening hours and contact details are as follows:

The Accommodation Office
Grove House
316 Oxford Road
University of Manchester
M13 9WJ

Tel: +44 161 275 2888

The Accommodation Office Opening Hours are:

Mon & Wed - Fri: 09.00 - 17.00
Tue: 10.00 - 17.00

For private sector accommodation see the Manchester Student Homes website at Manchester Student Homes (MSH) is owned, managed and funded by the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University and their respective Students' Unions.

The Students’ Union Advice Centre is also an excellent source of help and advice on problems with private accommodation.

International students

The International Society, William Kay House, 327 Oxford Road (opposite the Students’ Union), offers advice, information and a social base for students.  Telephone: 0161 275 4959, email: Further information can be found on the International Society website.

The International Team forms part of the Student Services Centre. The advisors see students on an individual basis to discuss any problems (e.g. visas, finance) you may have. Telephone: 0161 275 5000 to make an appointment or see

Further information can also be found in the My Wellbeing Section of MyManchester.

Financial help

If you are a UK student for fees purposes, you can apply to Student Finance for a Student Loan for Maintenance and a Student Loan for Fees. Payments for the Student Loan for Maintenance are made directly into your bank account.  If you choose to take one, the Student Loan for Fees is paid directly to the University.  Some students may also be eligible for a non-repayable grant and your Student Finance will assess you for this.  If you get into difficulties while you are a student, the Student Services Centre on Burlington Street can help with money advice and budgeting.  Further information is available in the Student Support pages on the University website.

Security on campus

The University Security Service should be contacted if you have concerns about personal security or theft (0161 275 2728) or wish to speak to a member of the security staff. You can also contact the Police Liaison Officers on 0161 275 7042 or  Information on safety can also be found in the My Wellbeing section of MyManchester.

Return to Contents